Thursday, August 7, 2008

Your laptop (and tech stuff) can be seized at the border!

US Agents now have the power to seize your laptop and other electronics without suspicion and they can share your data with agencies and private companies for decryption. The policies cover hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers, beepers, and video and audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and other written materials, the report said. At the very least, the policy does protect business info and attorney-client privileged info and apparently they aren't allowed to retain a copy of your data once you've been reviewed.

4 comments:

Epi said...

Yes they've been able to do this for a while, and its finally given me an excuse to see if certain animated gifs work as desktop wallpapers.

Matt DeSalvo said...

These new policies are from July 16 and I think they're even more intrusive and shitty.

Brian Thompson said...

I heard about this earlier on This Week in Tech, one guy who is a privacy nut managed not to lose it and said that he would save his anger for when it actually happens. It may just be in place now as a "what if Osama checks in with a laptop, let's make sure we can legally seize it."

This one irks me less than them checking my library records.

Epi said...

on a side note, the pic really has me racking my brain in the feasibility of bear cavalry.