Thursday, August 14, 2008

Intel Develops Remote "Power On"

The "Power On" part is in quotes because their new Remote Wake technology can bring a computer out of hibernation, sleep, or any number of other standby modes remotely through a packet, but still requires some sort of axillary power supply to be on.

Still, it's a bit scary knowing that basically the only way to be completely safe from someone turning on your machine in the middle of the night and using it to bring down the Georgian foreign ministry's website (actually happened, btw, to every Georgian domain name site) is to physically disable your Internet connection, power off your machine and drain out any backup power sources.

That, or get a mac, which in my eyes, is pretty much doing the same thing.

2 comments:

Matt DeSalvo said...

This actually looks like a pretty useful feature, but like everything else has potential for abuse. Just don't get an Intel NIC that supports this if you're worried I guess.

Brian Thompson said...

All my mobos since forever have claimed to have "Wake On LAN" which I thought was the same thing?

It's a great way to go anti-green, my comptuer used to be on and waiting at Allstate when I got in every morning, I can only guess what it cost for them to boot 30,000 computers at 5AM and leave them idling...