Tuesday, July 29, 2008

For the Fatherboard

My Zotax 9800 GTX came in today. When they said 14 inches long and an inch and a half thick, they were not kidding. It is by far the biggest single piece of computer hardware I have ever seen. The photo to the right includes an iron and an ipod for scale reference, but I fear that it is still insufficient to capture the magnitude of this thing. The card is the one on the bottom, sporting a gigantic fan like a piece of magnificant plummage (and no, the fan is not the reason for its majesty, for beneath it lies a full four inches of throbbing, glistening silicon), baring its golden pci-express fangs at the lesser appliances it has deemed offensive to its presence. The upside-down image you see is that of a cross between a Utah raptor and a hydralisk-a manifestation of the bestial nature of the gargantuan brick that it adorns. Mobo and case are due by the end of the week. I pray to Muad'dib that both will have the space and fortitude to accomodate this monster.

Srly, it's feckin' huge; can probably crush a newborn alive.

1 comment:

Brian Thompson said...

I have seen cards as big if not bigger back in an old 286 I took apart with a friend, the video card ran the length of the case, it was just silly. I want to say it was 18 inches. I think the fan on your card probably has more processing power though.