Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dark Knight


Set the record for highest weekend gross at $155 million, just $4 million over Spiderman. Weirdest part of that story is that I first read it Sunday morning, so God only knows how they try to accurately count the sales. It got a boost from being shown on imax screens, where tickets cost $3 more on average.

I liked it, but don't think it is the movie of the century that everyone will proclaim it to be. Ledger's Joker was outstanding, and I believe that the line "I will make this pencil disappear." will live on in my heart for years to come. Haven't seen Nicholson's Joker since I was a kid so I don't want to rush to call this the greatest Joker of all time, but it certainly was perfectly set in the new darker Batman universe.

Christian Bale did not spend much time outside the costume, so we didn't get to see much of his acting. He was good in the first one.

Also, Maggie Gyllenhaal took the place of Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, Batman's secret heartthrob. She stole my heart in Stranger Than Fiction, so I certainly welcomed the switch.

Thoughts, impressions, more fleshed out reviews than my 5 second scribble at work?

1 comment:

Jay Buchanan said...

Wow, Brian. It's totally the movie of the century. It has all those epic qualities that most superhero movies lack, and it's extremely well done. Good point about Maggie Gyllenhaal, too -- she's seems much more serious than Katie Holmes did, and thus better suited to such a serious role.

Despite his sort of unbelievably ridiculous capacity to plan destructive things, the Joker and his mindset seemed all too real, what with his logical arguments about anarchy and control, and that's why he creeped me the hell out. The Twoface character was disturbingly real as well. The rest of the cast totally overshadowed Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman, who usually make the movie just by their presence (but maybe that's because of their one-dimensional roles).

I usually complain heartily about having to pay $9 (at least) for movies, but this one merited no such whining. It was appropriately long, appropriately engaging, and probably the best and most intense movie I've seen in a long time.