Thursday, August 28, 2008

Comcast Becomes a Bigger Hole of Ass

They've slapped a 250 gig/month usage limit on all residential customers. Two "offenses" in a sixth month period results in a year's suspension of service.

As my fellow TSE posters know, my reaction to an outrage like this would typically include a call for mass graves for relevant parties, but it should be noted that my hope for such is highly unnecessary in this case, since Comcast seems to be digging their own quite capably.

Between Verizon and AT&T, there's plenty of DSL to go around no matter where you live. FIOS and Elite give respectable performance, but most of all you actually get to use the bandwidth that you are paying for.

3 comments:

Matt DeSalvo said...

As a Comcast customer, I must say that this sucks ass. Strangely I haven't received any notices directly from Comcast if this really is going down. You'd think they'd let us know soon. I'm hoping that even with all the shit I download I'm below 250Gb/month. Even if I'm doing 1-2Gb of surfing a day I'd have to be torrenting/downloading another 5-7 Gb a day. Either way it still sucks.

Brian Thompson said...

What do you think the throughput on multiplayer gaming is? If 250Gb starts cutting people off WoW, look for mass graves.

This is at least preferable to their previous talk for making people pay per Gb.

It's also a real step backward since with all of the multimedia that is now hitting its stride with people able to dl vast amounts of info, this restricts the continued development of the web.

Epi said...

I think "mass graves" makes for a good tag, like like "how high are you" and company. My main concern is the political correctness. I mean, say I got pissed off at, say, Israel for whatever purely hypothetical reason. That wouldn't be pretty.