Monday, July 28, 2008

Just in time for NVIDIA's stock to plummet further


It seems that everybody who bought a Macbook Pro within the last year or anybody running a desktop or mobile Geforce 8-series below the 8800's might be running on faulty hardware. According to the Inquirer, a British technology news website, "all the G84 and G86 parts are bad. Period. No exceptions." The failure seems to involve heat cycles and the frequency with which the computer is turned on and off over long periods of time. I hope this is all paranoia for everybody's sake, but NVIDIA is already budgeting $200 million for repairs and predicts a 25% loss of share value.

2 comments:

Epi said...

is this just for macs or am I gonna have to take my T61 in for repairs?

Epi said...

hmm, just answered my own question. me, aaron and danny may have dodged a bullet on this one, since there's been no indication that the fault extends to the FX-570, despite the fact that it's an 8600gt core.